Scorecard History 101, Italy
GC Bergamo “L’Albenza” to GC Cherasco
Flag of Italy
Flag of Italy
Some interesting facts about Italy:
- The name Italy comes from the word italia, meaning “calf land,” perhaps because the bull was a symbol of the Southern Italian tribes.
- Italy is approximately 116,400 square miles (including Sicily and Sardinia), which is slightly larger than Arizona.
- The official name of Italy is the Italian Republic (Repubblica Italiana).
- Italy is said to have more masterpieces per square mile than any other country in the world.
Almost four-fifths of Italy is either mountainous or hilly.
- In 2007, a dog named Rocco discovered a truffle in Tuscany that weighed 3.3 pounds. It sold at auction for $333,000 (USD), a world record for a truffle.
- Italians take their food very seriously. They claim to have taught the rest of Europe how to cook. Italy is responsible for introducing the world to ice cream (via the Chinese), coffee, and fruit pies. In addition to Belgium and France, Italy also claims to have made the first French fries.
- The first Italian cookbook was written in 1474 by Bartolomeo Sicci.
- The Italian wolf is Italy’s unofficial national animal and plays a large role in the legend of the founding of Rome.
- When McDonald's opened in 1986 in Rome, food purists outside the restaurant gave away free spaghetti to remind people of their culinary heritage.
- There are approximately 230 courses in Italy. Twenty-seven golf scorecards from eleven of their courses are illustrated below.
More Blog Issues for Italy and Internet Links:
To view more of my Italy blog issues scroll to the upper left corner of this page and enter the word Italy in the search field. This will bring up virtually all of the blog issues for the country of the Italy that I've done to date. Click on this Internet link to view over 12,800 more miscellaneous golf scorecards
Also feel free to visit my other websites at
My Internet Pick of the Day:
1070 Blog Postings
The total number of golf scorecard images on this site now equals 19,298
The total number of golf photographs on this site now equals 5,510
The total number of all photographs on this site now equals 15,708
Atunyote GC, New York
My golf scorecard collection statistics as of today:
Total Italy = 487
Total USA = 95,130
Total Foreign = 45,586
Total Collection = 140,716
Come back soon and often.
Feel free to leave your comments below.
Scorecard Trading: If you are a casual visitor and a golf scorecard collector and would like to do some scorecard trading contact me at email@example.com.
Available: For sale and/or trade - Over 68,000 duplicate golf scorecards. Contact me if you are interested.